William Morrissey, CFP®, AEP®
Prior to founding Sound Financial Planning, Inc. in 1982, Bill Morrissey was in the real estate business in Seattle from 1971-80. He was in residential and then commercial real estate, owned and managed a substantial real estate investment portfolio, and was President of two real estate development companies. From 1980-82 he was the managing partner of the Islander Lopez, a major resort in the San Juan Islands. In June 1982 he sought a line of work more fulfilling and connected to the community. He aspired to use his
business acumen to help people achieve financial security.
The result of over three decades of hard work and perseverance is Sound Financial Planning (SFP), the company Bill founded and is president of today. The company provides a holistic approach to managing clients financial lives.
“I'm really glad I made the switch,” says Bill, who became a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ in 1984. “I love helping people achieve that peace of mind when they make good decisions with their money. With our holistic process, we develop plans for clients that focus on the true values and motivations in their lives.” Bill is also an Accredited Estate Planner® (AEP®) designee of the National Association of Estate Planners & Councils (NAEPC). This is a graduate level specialization in estate planning.
Bill enjoys the relationships he develops with clients. “They are part of the extended family,” he says. So much so that Bill and his wife Sharon invited SFP clients to their wedding.
When talking about helping clients, Bill can relate those who have lost their spouses. Bill's first wife died of breast cancer in 1991 when his two sons were 10 and 3 years old.
“When people are widowed, they want to feel cared for and take it slow,” he says. “But each person is different so you have to move at their pace.” Bill has spoken about this topic to a group of peers in Seattle.
Philanthropy is also a focus for Bill. He is the past president of the United Way of San Juan County and has been on the board of directors for many years. He proudly asserts that each year “we help more than 5,000 residents countywide through carefully screened local agencies that are funded by the United Way. These programs are vital for the people who need them.”
Bill is also a founding member of the Nazrudin Project, which is a group of financial planners and therapists who meet to discuss the emotional and psychological issues related to money.
Bill enjoys spending personal time with Sharon and his two grown sons, Travis and Stephen as well as Sharon’s daughter and son, Erika and Nils. Bill and Sharon escape to a “warm place” at least once a year. Those trips have included the Caribbean, where they enjoy snorkeling.
Bill has lived in the Pacific Northwest his entire life and loves the picturesque scenery. He lives on the water and likes that he can kayak “outside his front door.” Bill is an avid pilot and flies to and from SFP office locations and piloting personal trips with his family up north. He stays active with strength training, yoga, cycling, hiking, and swimming.
- A NAPFA-Registered Financial Advisor is a financial planner who has earned the CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ designation, NAPFA recognized practitioner, fee-only, and who meets NAPFA’s rigorous standards. The National Association of Personal Financial Advisors (NAPFA) is the country's leading professional association of Fee-Only financial advisors — highly trained professionals who are committed to working in the best interests of those they serve.
- Member and past National Board member of the Financial Planning Association (FPA).
- A CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professional.
- An Accredited Estate Planner® (AEP®) professional. Member and Past President of the Northwest Washington Estate Planning Council.
- Published in Money, Financial Planning Magazine, Skagit Valley Herald, The Journal, Bellingham Herald, and Business Pulse.
- Contributed to two nationally-acclaimed books: “Financial Planning Can Make You Rich,” and “About Your Future... Financial Planning Will Make the Difference.”
- Conducted financial planning programs for KOMO, KBRC, and KGMI Radio, KING Radio's Money Talks, KING TV's Top Story, KVOS TV's Digest, KCTS TV's Serious Money, and KIRO TV's Noon News. Mr. Morrissey also hosted the "Washington Business News Forum" for KEZX Radio in Seattle.